RIO DE JANEIRO (April 24) – The test event for Olympic fencing enters its second phase this week with the team World Championships in women’s foil and men’s sabre.
The Carioca Arena 3 in Barra da Tijuca hosted the Rio stage of the Fencing Grand Prix series over the weekend, when the new x-shaped piste configuration, which will be adopted for the Games, was successfully tested.
This week sees the second half of the official test event, the World Championships for the disciplines that have been rotated off the Olympic program.
Women’s team foil
- China reached the quarterfinals after defeating Canada 45-40.
- China also defeated Canada in this event last year at the World Championships, when they won 43-36 in the Final 9-10.
- Last year, China were eliminated in the Last 16 by Japan (38-37). This year they face titleholders Italy in the quarterfinals, a repeat from the 2013 Last 8. Italy won that tie 45-20.
- France defeated Brazil 45-20 and reached the quarterfinals.
- France claimed a medal in each of the last three World Championships in this event, finishing second in 2013 and third in 2014 and 2015.
- France will face United States in the quarterfinals. The last time they met at the World Championships was in 2014, when France won 45-29 in the Last 8.
- The last time France were eliminated in the quarterfinals was in 2011, when Russia proved too strong (45-42).
- United States defeated Colombia 45-17 to claim a spot in the Last 8.
- The last time USA won in the quarterfinals of the World Championships was in 2001, when they finished third behind Italy and Russia.
- Last year, USA lost 45-35 against Hungary in the quarterfinals.
- Germany defeated Japan 45-26 in the Last 16. It was their first victory in the Last 16 since beating Canada 45-34 two years ago.
- Their last meeting was in 2011, when Germany won 37-30 in the 9-12 qualification match.
- Germany will face Korea Republic, against which they lost in the bronze medal match at the 2010 World Championships.
- Hungary beat Poland 43-42 in the Last 16. The previous two times these nations met at the World Championships were also in the Last 16, with Poland winning both times 34-26 in 2010 and 44-35 in 2013.
- Hungary are in the quarterfinals in back-to-back World Championships for the first time since 2006-2007. Last year, they defeated United States and ultimately finished fourth.
Men’s team sabre
- Hungary defeated Spain 45-29 in the Last 16 to qualify for the quarterfinals. Six years ago, they defeated Spain 45-43 in the qualification for 9-12 at the 2010 World Championships.
- Hungary have now won their match in the Last 16 for the fifth time in a row at the World Championships.
- Last year, Hungary lost 45-36 against Russia in the quarterfinals.
- Germany defeated Great Britain 45-35 in the Last 16, the team they also beat last year in the Last 16 (45-28).
- Germany have now reached the quarterfinals for the sixth time in a row. Last year, they won their quarterfinal match 45-40 against United States.
- United States proved too strong for Japan in the Last 16 (45-24). It was their first meeting with Japan since the Final 13-14 in 2010, when they won 45-25.
- United states are in the quarterfinals for the fifth successive time. On the last four occasions, they lost their quarterfinal match each time, including 45-40 against Germany last year.
- Iran defeated France 45-41 in the Last 16.
- For France it was their first elimination in the Last 16 since losing 45-40 against Hungary in 2013.
- Iran will face United States, against which they lost 45-38 last year in the Last 16.
- Korea Republic defeated Belarus 45-28 in the Last 16. This was their first meeting at the World Championships since the bronze medal match in 2013, when Korea won 45-31.
- Korea are in the quarterfinals for the fourth consecutive time. Last year they lost 45-44 against France.
- Russia beat Georgia 45-37 and qualified for the quarterfinals.
- Russia have now reached the quarterfinals in each of the last 10 World Championships. On the previous nine times, they only were defeated once at this stage: against Hungary in 2007 (45-44).
- Russia face Korea in the quarterfinals, the team they beat in the Last 8 in 2010 on their way to the world title.
- Romania beat China 45-36 in the Last 16. It was their first meeting with China at the World Championships in nine years, when they lost 45-40 in the Last 16.
- Romania have now reached the quarterfinals in each of the last seven World Championships. They failed to reach the semifinals in each of the last two World Championships.
- Italy defeated Argentina 45-26 and are in the quarterfinals for the 12th successive time at the World Championships.
- They will face Romania, the team they beat last year in the quarterfinals (45-32) on their way to the title. The last time they failed to reach the final four was in 2014, when they lost against Hungary 45-39.